I’m sharing my new favorite snack: Romaine Boats! This is a gluten free, vegan and as always, affordable recipe. The boat is a romaine leaf, topped with store bought hummus to save time, and a delicious homemade pesto sauce to make it even tastier. Use whatever toppings you’d like, I just used what I already had available: carrots. Peppers, tomatoes, olives, sprouts, nuts and even garbanzo beans would taste delicious on top of these, I like to think of them as a portable salad.
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Hummus- homemade or store bought
- Pesto sauce: 1 bunch basil, 1 bunch chives, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas), 1 clove garlic, 4 tbsp olive oil, pinch of sea salt, 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 4 tbsp water- or more if needed
- Toppings: diced carrots, or whatever you want!
- Blend pesto sauce ingredients in a blender or small food processor.
- Spread hummus onto romaine leaves, top with pesto sauce and toppings of choice. Enjoy!