At my previous job I frequently made a chicken and rice soup: our best selling soup. This Brothy Vegetable Rice Soup is a vegan version of the soup. I use beans in place of chicken and a ‘no chicken’ flavor soup bouillon; don’t worry it’s vegan and tastes better than most vegetable bouillons available.
Brothy Vegetable Rice Soup- serves 6- 2 cup servings
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-15 oz can cannelloni beans, or 1 cup dried cannelloni beans (cooking instructions below)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, or 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice (cooking instructions below)
- 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons ‘no chicken’ vegetable base
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- pinch of sea salt
To cook dried beans: soak overnight in water- drain, add to a pot with fresh water and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until tender- about 1 hour. Drain again before using.
To cook rice- add 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice to a pot with 1 1/2 cups water, cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook covered for about 30 minutes. Taste to make sure it’s tender.- *I used short grain brown rice for this recipe, different rices have different cooking times.
- Heat a large pot, big enough to hold 4 quarts of soup, over medium-high heat. Add oil, then onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and soft, stirring occasionally.
- Once onions are soft, add: water, vegetable base, cooked brown rice and beans, and zucchini. Cook just until the zucchini is tender.
- Add in frozen peas and fresh parsley- no need to cook the peas, they’re already cooked. Taste for salt, if needed, add a pinch at a time- tasting after each addition, making sure not to over salt the soup.