The holidays are a great opportunity to make something special and different. We all know what mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie tastes like, but how many people have tried a stuffed date? I love bringing something different, just to watch how people react to the food.
New food breads new experiences, which ends up giving us new memories that we’ll never forget. I’m the only vegetarian at my family gatherings, so anything I bring is already “weird”, so I make sure to bring something really weird, something that I haven’t even tried. Family members tease and dare each other to try “the vegetarian food”, but everyone ultimately tries it because we all crave new experiences. Weird food brings people together.
- 2 cups pitted dates (1/2 pound)
- zest of 1 orange
- 1½ cups shelled pistachios
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger root
- Dates and Topping
- Medjool dates, 1 pound
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- To prepare ginger: Peel ginger root. Grate on a microplane, or mince using a very sharp knife.
- Place dates, orange zest, shelled pistachios, sea salt, cinnamon, balsamic vinegar, and minced ginger in food processor. Process until pistachios and dates are in small pieces, stopping to scrap the sides down occasionally.
- Blend shelled pistachios in food processor or blender into a fine crumble. Place pistachios into a shallow dish. Cut dates in half and remove pits.
- Stuff dates with filling, the press filling onto crumbled pistachios. Cut zested orange into wedges and place in the center of a platter, then arrange dates around orange.